03 April 2013

Product Review: Dr. Marten's Wonder Balsam

I don't usually write stuff like this, but I've been using this for about 4 years now and I don't think a lot of people have even heard of it or would even think to use it on motorcycle jackets.


Back when I worked in the field, the companies I worked for all provided a stipend for new boots each year, and every year for the past 7 years (well except for half of one), I'd buy a pair of industrial grade Docs. When you buy online, and I've only seen this stuff online, they suggest you also try the Wonder Balsam for cleaning and treatment of leather and I figured what the hell. It's supposed to clean, condition, and provide some mild water proofing for leather and it never let me down as far as boots are concerned.

About 4 years ago I figured I'd try it on my leather jacket (which is only 5 years younger than I am), and now I buy this stuff yearly just to use on my jackets. It cleans and conditions but it also has a restoring effect. Places on the jacket where the color was fading or turning whitish were returned to the original color and places where the leather was cracked or hardened were softened up and returned to the nice worn in condition of the rest of the jacket. As far as waterproofing, it seems to repel the water for only one or two flash rainstorms and then the water proofing effect is mostly gone, but that's my only complaint.

The only place I've ever seen this has been on the Docs online store (www.dmusastore.com) in the accessories section. If you like vintage jackets like I do, you owe it to yourself to try the stuff out.

This is my current riding jacket (from around 1989... I was 5 at the time!) after a treatment tonight.


That's it for the product endorsing. Back to the regularly scheduled program

Powder coating on the fenders and rear rim should be done tomorrow, on the fence about cleaning up the frame or stripping that down for powdercoating too. We'll see how motivated I get. Still waiting on the new tail light for the BMW. I fucking hate Deutsche Post, it completely ruins all German stereotypes about efficiency

No comments:

Post a Comment